Saturday, August 22, 2009

When it rains, it POURS!

And pours... and pours...

Seriously folks. I waited about 20 minutes at the Walmart doors for the storm to let up. It never did. I could literally see my car parked 50 feet from me, so I decided to chance it. I was soaked by the time I loaded my stuff into the car (I literally shoved it all in there, including my new vacuum), and climbed dripping wet into the front seat. I took a few moments to shake myself off, which was probably a nanosecond too many for some one else who decided they wanted my primo spot by the door. They didn't even leave me a lot of room to back up and out of the stall... and I could barely see out the rear window!

The roads were a little flooded, but I made it back in one piece. I left half my stuff in the car, and still got drenched again in the 15 feet I sprinted from my car to the front door. Why doesn't this building have evestroughs or downspouts?

That was forty minutes ago. The storm has let up a little, and I'm waiting for the time to get the rest of my stuff. I knew I needed a shower, but I didn't think mother nature would take care of it for me!

Anyway, that's about as exciting as my day has been. I got a haircut, an oil change (for my car, not for me!) and went shopping. Whee. Thank God for the rain, or this post would have been very short.

Open House/Orientation was busy. I met a lot of my students, and they all seem like good kids. Makes me very hopeful that I'll be able to establish some solid teacher-student bonds with some of them. Met several parents too. It was a good turn out, and I kept remarking to them that this was the largest school I'd worked at in a few years, so if I seemed a little awestruck, that was why! The night completely wiped me out though. Friday was a hard day to get through.

I did get to the game last night -- sort of. They needed some additional helpers at the ticket window, so I volunteered. I thought that I'd just be selling tickets until the game started, and then I'd get to watch the rest of the game. Nope. We sold tickets up till the start of the 4th quarter, and we were busy the entire time! Why do some people come so late to the game? Yeah, so I didn't get to see the game. I heard it. Lots of cheering, bells, horns. All ado for the visiting team, who pretty much whooped CHS arse. Rats. Heard the band at halftime, too, and tried to peer outside the ticket booth far enough to see some marching. Oh well. They sounded good. I'll definitely make sure that the next game I go as a spectator and not as a worker.

Okay, so the links weren't working. That was my bad. I should know how to copy and paste rather than memorize URLs. They have to be working now. For those of you who hunted me out, you get a gold star! Sorry there is no pic with the bio. Maybe once I get my ID.

Steph -- the band director is a brand new teacher. All gungho and everything. He's been in the school since March, working with the kids and infusing his style into the program. The previous band director has taken a job as the technology director for the middle and high schools. Good guys. Oh, and the reason why we're so excited about a real American high school football game is because these aren't events that typically happen where I'm from. We do have sports teams and events, but never with this amount of fanfare. Marching bands are even more of a rarity. You now you know why some of my Canuck contingent is so enthusiastic about it!

Kimber -- No, I don't think the MMCI football team was formed until after we graduated. I remember the hockey team, and that wasn't even established until we were in our last couple of years. Other schools have FB teams and you can follow their progress in the paper. But it's not as common or as touted as it is down here.

Tomorrow will be the highlight of my weekend... I'm going up to Apex to have lunch with Barb!!! FINALLY! Seriously, this is actually going to happen. I don't know if I'll quite believe it until she's sitting across from me. Ten years is too long to know someone without actually having met them in the flesh. Hopefully it's worth the hype. Heh. Must bring camera to commemorate the event. You can expect a picture post in the near future. ;o)

Okay, I think it's safe to venture outside again. Gotta go grab the rest of my stuff. Later!

Edited to add: Forgot to mention, I got my social security card in the mail yesterday, so I guess I can officially get paid for working now!


Kimber said...

Wow - sounds like you've moved into quite the rainy area! We actually have SUNSHINE today in the 'Peg. I think we've almost forgotten what it looks like. Your Saturday shopping trip makes me wish I was out there with you ... my day has been BORING! I think I need to get another job, to keep myself occupied on the weekends, otherwise I end up lying around on the couch!

Anonymous said...

ah damn. i'll just have to get a job somewhere else in NC between you and barb...haha.

i love football games! when i was in ghih school it was deifnitly one of the things i loved the most about band. being a director, i'm not fond of the idea of doing drill and things, but it pays off. and i know from experiance that it creates such wonderful bonds and lasting memories...but i digress....last year i went to one of our schools games, we're not the best team, but i'd like to go to...lets say, at least two this year. :)

and you're beating us all to meet barb it looks like! funny, it took us til last summer to meet, and now you're meeting her this summer. i'm gonna try to meet hayley sometime within the year, and just this past week i saw jo when she was up in the poconos! we're such awesome people ;)