Monday, March 15, 2010

Food, Friends, Fun and the... Federal Government?

It's 5:28 PM on a Monday... and I'm home from work.

I can't even recall the last time that happened. Which either means that I've 1) started to lighten up on myself, or b) have forgotten something incredibly important...

Don't worry, I'm not without "homework" tonight. Blech.

Had a really good time Saturday in Fayetteville. We went to a catering showcase that featured local vendors from around Cumberland County who were strutting their stuff with samples and promotions. I'd heard about it on the radio and thought it might be a good way to find out "what's out there" for the next time we were in the area. Admission to the event was free, but if you wanted to try any of the offerings, you had to purchase a ticket for $10 that allowed you to visit all 24 vendors. I don't know who would come and NOT want to sample... As it was we only knocked off about half before we were stuffed and ready for a nap. It didn't help that the room was hot and got increasingly more crowded as time wore on. We skipped some of the title names... Subway, Hooters... and went for the places that had the best to eat! Found a few favorites to try in the future.

While we were chowing down, a photog from a local paper asked to take our picture. After trying to get the best shot, and some confusion over how to spell our names, he told Ibeth and I that the picture might be published in the mag later on in the month, but that it should definitely be on the website earlier than that. So I took the address and found it...


Okay, so we may look like a couple of goofs... but it's kind of cool to think we may be mildly famous...

Saturday night I went to Brian and Ann's for some (more) chow and games. I met friends of theirs, and got to hang out and be silly. I caught up a little with the other Canadian VIF teacher, who was disappointed to know that I was leaving. Brian and Ann have also announced that they are moving back to Maine so that they can be closer to Brian's family and civilization. They are such fun people, and I hope that we'll be able to keep in touch after school ends.

I had a mix-up with my bedside clock on Sunday morning. I set it ahead before I went to bed, only I forgot that my clock has a digital calendar that's automatically synched to DST. So I woke up Sunday to a dark room a little after 8:00 AM and wondered why... It wasn't until I stumbled down the stairs and turned on the television that I realized what I'd done. Let's just say that another hour of sleep was not very hard to come by. ;o)

I got my 2010 census in the mail this afternoon, and it took me all of 3 minutes to fill it out. I'm required to by law... so says the envelope... but it feels rather dishonest counting myself now, when in a few months I won't be here anymore. I feel like I'm leading the Department of Commerce, Economics and Statistics on...

Okay, it's now 5:53 PM, which is about the time I'd normally be cursing myself for not going home before 6 PM. So I guess I'm not really ending up any father ahead than usual. Except I got to grace you all with a post!

Have a great week, everyone!

No comments: